Thursday, August 19, 2004

And so the journey begins

Today was the first day of orientation... I will begin this by saying... My school is
W H I T E... like lilly white even.

No, i'm not a racist. But i have done this before. Been at a school where the majority of the faces were not like mine. It's not that i expected anything different, it's just that it didn't really hit me until 8:30am today. I met a girl in the starbucks while waiting on orientation to begin. Cute little brunette. We talked about this and that and the start of the law school experience and things were nice. We left starbucks and headed into the school. Almost immediately i ran into two of my black friends. I introduced them to my new pal and continued to chat it up. When i mentioned sitting outside for a few minutes, while waiting on things to get started, my white "friend" declined. About three minutes later she exited the building with a few other white girls and sat at the next table over. No words were exchanged... in fact, for the rest of the day when i saw her she looked away and didn't return my smiles. I quickly took the hint.

Now some might argue that maybe she simply didn't like me or the other girls and I'm just fine with that. But i suspect there was something much deeper than that.

c'est la vie.

In other news, orientation was a terrible bore. I see the necessity of it, but it was a rehash of the information that i've spent the last 10 days getting. nevertheless i made the best of it and tried my best to meet new people. The downside of participating in that summer workshop is that we all tend to just stick together now. it's great to have a familiar face but i think it also makes us less approachable and i can't help but wonder whether or not i'm missing out on some opportunity to meet more people.

One thing that i noticed about the school is that all of the professors seems genuinely committed to our growth and development. I had that in undergrad as well, but i was too silly to actually make use of it. I'm determined to be more active in law school and do what it takes to make sure that i leave this school with no regrets.